This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

The Will is lost

What happens if the Will has been lost or destroyed.

If the original Will has been lost or destroyed, an application needs to be made (in solemn form) to Supreme Court. This is done by filling in an ‘Originating motion for a grant of probate’ form. This is available from the Supreme Court website.

See Supreme Court—Wills and probate(opens in a new window).

An application must be accompanied by a copy or draft of the original Will and an affidavit that sets out:

  • the circumstances of the loss of the original Will
  • the circumstances surrounding the execution of the lost Will document, and
  • proof that Will-maker had not intended to destroy (revoke to original).

It may be necessary for more than one affidavit to be submitted with the originating motion.

Submissions will be required by any people who have first hand knowledge of any of the surrounding circumstances.

If a known Will can’t be found

If Will-maker made a Will and it was known to be in their possession, yet can't be found, it is presumed that the Will-maker destroyed the Will with an intention of revoking that Will.

More information


Supreme Court

The Wills and probate section of the court website has links to the necessary forms and information needed to help executors to apply for probate.