This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Who is a caravan park resident?

A person is classed as a caravan park resident when they have either:

  • a written residency agreement from the caravan park owner, or
  • lived in the caravan park for at least 60 consecutive days as their main residence.

People who own a caravan in a caravan park, but live somewhere else, are not considered to be residents.

This is called a residency agreement.

The resident may own the caravan they are living in, or may have a right under the agreement to live there.

See s. 3—Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic)(opens in a new window).

Owners of pre-fab or mobile homes in caravan parks

Different laws apply to caravan park residents who own a pre-fabricated, mobile or transportable home that is situated in a caravan or site park. Under these circumstances the resident owns the home and rents the site where they are living. These parks are often called residential parks or villages.

See Owners of pre-fab or movable homes.

What is a caravan park?

A caravan park is a piece of land that has been developed to house caravans and other mobile homes. The park may have vans that can be rented, or it may rent out the sites for people to bring their own vans. The park may have a combination of cabins, mobile homes, caravans for rent and sites for rent.

People who use the site may be caravan park residents or holiday makers, or a combination of these.

What is a residency agreement?

A residential tenancy agreement is a legal contract between either the:

  • resident and the caravan park owner, or
  • resident and the caravan owner.

An agreement can cover the rent of the site and hire of a caravan and the resident's use and enjoyment of the caravan park.

Both parties can add terms and conditions to the contract, as long as they comply with the Act, and both parties sign the agreement.

Note: A caravan park owner and a caravan owner can also have an agreement specifying the terms and conditions of the occupancy of a site by a caravan.

More information


Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic)

  • s. 3—under 'resident', defines a caravan park resident
  • Part 4—caravan parks and moveable dwellings—residency rights and duties

See Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic).

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV)

Consumer Affairs Victoria has information designed for people living in caravan parks.

See Consumer Affairs Victoria—Caravan park guide(opens in a new window).

Tenants Victoria

Tenants Victoria produces a series of advice guides for caravan park residents. They produce a handbook for caravan park residents.

See Tenants Victoria—Caravan parks(opens in a new window)