This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

What to do if someone is injured in a motor vehicle accident

If a person was injured as a result of a motor vehicle accident, any driver involved in the collision must first stop and assist. They must also give the injured person, or their representative, and the police:

  • their name and address
  • the name and address of owner of vehicle
  • the registration number of vehicle.

If police not present at accident, they must report incident at nearest police station as soon as possible.