This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

What is a cross-border?

Information to explain what a cross-border is.

Cross-border issues happen to people who live close to the state borders. Many towns, such as Albury and Wodonga and other towns alongside the Murray River, sit close to the border between Victorian and New South Wales. As a result of this, state-based laws (such as criminal laws and child protection laws) make any legal issue they have more complex if they live in one state and have legal issues governed by another.

Up in the north-West of Victoria, similar issues arise around Mildura, which is close to the border between NSW, Victoria and South Australia.