This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Victorian drivers moving interstate

Information about Victorian drivers who are permanently moving interstate.

If a driver with a Victorian licence moves permanently to another state or territory their Victorian driver's licence or permit will be recognised for 3 months.

After 3 months they must surrender their Victorian licence or permit and apply for a licence from the licensing authority in the state where they are living.

Drivers disqualified from driving in Victoria

If a driver applies for an interstate driver licence, but has had their Victorian licence cancelled or suspended, this licence loss will show up on the national register and they will not be eligible to drive in another state.

Avoiding interlock device by moving interstate

If a Victorian driver has their licence cancelled for a drink-driving offence and moves interstate, they must comply with the laws of that state. This means if the jurisdiction has no interlock device laws, they can get their interlock removed.

However, if the driver returns to live in Victoria, they may need to have an interlock device fitted to their vehicle before they are allowed to be re-issued with a Victorian licence.

Removing an interlock device

Drivers who plan extended travel interstate while they are subject to an interlock licence condition must make arrangements with their interlock provider.

If the provider does not have interstate connections where the device can be serviced and the data downloaded, then the driver must return to Victoria to get their interlock serviced.

See Alcohol interlocks—Interstate issues

More information


Road Safety Act 1986 (Vic)

  • s. 3—definitions
  • s. 24—cancellation, suspension or variation of licences and permits by the Corporation
  • s. 25—demerits register

See Road Safety Act 1986 (Vic)(opens in a new window).

Road Safety (Drivers) Regulations 2019 (Vic)

  • Part 3—variation, suspension or cancellation of driver licence or permit
  • r. 81(2)(6)—VicRoads must suspend or cancel a person's driver licence or permit if the person is disqualified from driving in another jurisdiction of if the person's driver licence was cancelled in that jurisdiction because of a judgment, order or decision made under or by operation of the law of that jurisdiction

See Road Safety (Drivers) Regulations 2019(opens in a new window).