This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Taking a child overseas

Information about issues that parents face if a child is taken overseas and not returned, how to get a passport and how to prevent a child being removed.

Information about taking children overseas after parents have separated including how to prevent a child being taken out of Australia without permission and how to get a child returned under the Hague convention. The specialist adult family law phone advice line deals with Hague convention matters.


How VLA can help

Useful resources