This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Share housing

This topic looks at how the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 applies to a person living in a share house.

A shared house is a property which is shared with one or more people. A person in a shared household can either be a:

  • co-renter (co-tenant), where all the housemates have equal status
  • sub-renter (sub-tenant), where there is a head renter and sub-renter/s
  • licensee, where they have permission to live in a house, but their rights do not extend to the 'exclusive possession' of a renter.

It is important that a renter is clear which type of share house arrangement they have as it affects their rights and responsibilities.


How VLA can help

Useful resources