This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Services and info for clients about taking a child overseas

Services and information related to taking a child overseas.

VLA produces publications and information on the website for clients about this topic.

See VLA resources for clients.

Family Court

This court site has a fact sheet for separated parents about international travel.

See Family Court—Children and international travel after family separation(opens in a new window).

Attorney-General’s Department (Cth)

The Commonwealth Attorney General site has information about family law and international issues including international child abduction.


Australian Federal Police (AFP)

The police have produced a kit that explains the airport watch list and how to add and to remove a child's name from this list. There is also some information about what to do if a child has already been taken overseas.

See Australian Federal Police—Family Law Kit(opens in a new window).

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

The department's site has a list of embassies in Australia and Australian embassies overseas. There is also a link to the passports website.


Australian Government—Passports

This site links to the request form for parents who do not want the other parent to apply for a passport for their child.

See Australian Government—Passports – child alert request(opens in a new window)
Or see Australian Passport Office—Children's passports(opens in a new window).

International Social Service Australia (ISS)

This not for profit non-government organisation can give legal assistance to parents whose children have been taken or kept overseas without consent. They can help parents to prepare the applications and supporting documents needed to apply for the children to be returned through the Hague convention. The short advice service is free as it is funded by the Commonwealth government. However, they charge fees for ongoing assistance.

See International Social Service Australia(opens in a new window).

Seeking urgent recovery orders

This NSW site has a lists of things to consider before filing an urgent recovery order, including what to include in the application.

See Legal Aid NSW—Seeking urgent recovery orders in the Family Court(opens in a new window).

Federal Circuit and Family Court YouTube

The court has launched a series of YouTube videos that are designed to assist people who are representing themselves in court. The videos explain how to prepare for court, what to bring, what the court layout looks like and court etiquette. There is also a video that explains how to apply for divorce and how to serve divorce papers.

The following videos may be of particular interest:

  • A new court structure
  • What to expect when attending a court hearing
  • You can separate smarter

See Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia—Official YouTube account(opens in a new window).

Court network

This voluntary, non-legal service provides support, information and referral for people who are involved in the court system. They have an online referral service so that people can make a booking before they attend court to get some help from a volunteer.

See Court Network(opens in a new window).

The service also provides a booklet for people who are representing themselves at a final hearing in the Family Law Courts.

  • 'Resource booklet for people attending a final hearing in the Family Law Courts without a lawyer'

See Court Network—Brochures(opens in a new window).

ASIC Money smart

This site has information to help people who are having difficulty with debt and managing thier money.


Law Institute Victoria

The Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) Legal Referral Service provides client referrals to lawyers across Victoria. The referral service operates a telephone service during business hours and an online service through the LIV website.

Referrals are tailored to meet client needs and provide a listing of up to three law firms practising in a particular area of law. All law firms participating in the referral service undertake to see clients for the first 30 minutes free of charge. This interview can be used to determine the nature of the legal issue and discuss the available options. Normal fees are charged after the first 30 minutes or if work needs to be prepared on the client’s behalf.

Phone (03) 9607 9550.

See Law Institute Victoria—Legal Referral Service(opens in a new window).

This is VLA's online referral booking and information tool.

See Legal Help Online (Orbit(opens in a new window)).

Court, CLC, FRC and VLA panels locator

Use Toby's maps to locate community legal centres, courts and private lawyers on the Victoria Legal Aid panel. Search for a list of services near where the caller lives. Search by postcode, name of organisation, phone number or suburb. Tick/untick the boxes to select the search categories.

Do not hit enter to avoid searching globally. Hit F5 to undo this global search.

See Google maps link for CLCs and 29A panellists(opens in a new window).

For Generalist CLCs and Local Government Agencies see Google maps link for General CLCs(opens in a new window).

Family law assistance program

This is a self-help clinical legal service is designed to assist people who are involved in family law litigation and do not have a lawyer. The service gives information about family law procedure by Monash law students who are working under supervision. The aim of the service is to support people to undertake their own case before the court.

See Family Law Assistance Program(opens in a new window).