This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Services and info for clients about share housing

Key services, information and resources for clients in relation to share housing.

VLA produces publications and information on the website for clients about this topic.

See VLA resources for clients.

Tenants Victoria

Tenants Victoria is a specialist community legal service. They inform and educate renters of private and public residential properties and residents of rooming houses about their rights.

The publication 'Keeping the mates in housemates' is available from the 'students' page.


Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria explains the difference between co-renting (where all the housemates have equal status) and sub-letting (where there is a head renter and sub-renter/s and the type of lease agreement for each. There is also some information about how to leave one of these arrangments.


Dispute Settlement Centre

The Department of Justice’s Dispute Settlement Centre offers mediation, advice and tips for dealing so people can resolve their own disputes. The service is free.

See Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria.

Reach Out

The ‘Living away from home’ section of the Reach Out website provides a number of fact sheets on living in a share house, including choosing housemates and managing shared payments.

See Reach Out—How to look after yourself (and your home).(opens in a new window)

Women's Information and Referral Exchange (WIRE)

This free phone service provides information, referral and support to all Victorian women. They claim to welcome calls about anything. Their lines are open between 9 am and 5 pm weekdays. The service also provides support via live chat or by email.

See Women's Information and Referral Exchange (WIRE)(opens in a new window).

Law Institute Victoria

The Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) Legal Referral Service provides client referrals to lawyers across Victoria. The referral service operates a telephone service during business hours and an online service through the LIV website.

Referrals are tailored to meet client needs and provide a listing of up to three law firms practising in a particular area of law. All law firms participating in the referral service undertake to see clients for the first 30 minutes free of charge. This interview can be used to determine the nature of the legal issue and discuss the available options. Normal fees are charged after the first 30 minutes or if work needs to be prepared on the client’s behalf.

Phone (03) 9607 9550.

See Law Institute Victoria—Legal Referral Service(opens in a new window).

This is VLA's online referral booking and information tool.

See Legal Help Online (Orbit(opens in a new window)).

Court, CLC, FRC and VLA panels locator

Use Toby's maps to locate community legal centres, courts and private lawyers on the Victoria Legal Aid panel. Search for a list of services near where the caller lives. Search by postcode, name of organisation, phone number or suburb. Tick/untick the boxes to select the search categories.

Do not hit enter to avoid searching globally. Hit F5 to undo this global search.

See Google maps link for CLCs and 29A panellists(opens in a new window).

For Generalist CLCs and Local Government Agencies see Google maps link for General CLCs(opens in a new window).