This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Services and info for clients about public transport offences

Services and information for clients related to public transport offences.

VLA produces publications and information on the website for clients about this topic.

See VLA resources for clients.

Public Transport Ombudsman

The role of this ombudsman is to receive, investigate and resolve complaints from consumers who use or who are affected by public passenger transport services in Victoria.

To make a complaint see Public Transport Ombudsman—Complaints(opens in a new window).

For information about the transport operators see Public Transport Ombudsman—Our members(opens in a new window).

Or go direct to the ombudsman homepage Public Transport Ombudsman(opens in a new window).

Department of Transport and Planning


Public Transport Victoria

Public Transport Victoria (PTV) was absorbed into the Department of Transport in 2019. Despite this move, it still has a website presence. Complaints about public transport can be made online through this site. There is also information about using myki and a journey planner to help people to plan trips using public transport.


Or go to the homepage Public Transport Victoria.

Liberty Victoria

Liberty Victoria have developed a site to help public transport users who have an infringement notice or who want help dealing with ticket inspectors. It explains the rights and responsibilities of people using public transport and has a tool to help people, suggesting wording to help them to seek an internal review if they want to challenge the circumstances of their fine.

See Confident commuter(opens in a new window).


V/Line is the name of Victoria's regional public transport operator. It carries passengers between Melbourne and many Victorian towns by rail and by coach.

Customer dissatisfaction complaints can be made in writing by letter or email or by phone.

See V/Line—Customer complaints(opens in a new window).

Public Transport Users Association

This association supports people who use public transport. They provide information, lobby governments and public transport operators to promote public transport and to improve the service. Their site has information about disputing public transport fines.

See Public Transport Users Association(opens in a new window).

Law Institute Victoria

The Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) Legal Referral Service provides client referrals to lawyers across Victoria. The referral service operates a telephone service during business hours and an online service through the LIV website.

Referrals are tailored to meet client needs and provide a listing of up to three law firms practising in a particular area of law. All law firms participating in the referral service undertake to see clients for the first 30 minutes free of charge. This interview can be used to determine the nature of the legal issue and discuss the available options. Normal fees are charged after the first 30 minutes or if work needs to be prepared on the client’s behalf.

Phone (03) 9607 9550.

See Law Institute Victoria—Legal Referral Service(opens in a new window).

This is VLA's online referral booking and information tool.

See Legal Help Online (Orbit(opens in a new window)).

Court, CLC, FRC and VLA panels locator

Use Toby's maps to locate community legal centres, courts and private lawyers on the Victoria Legal Aid panel. Search for a list of services near where the caller lives. Search by postcode, name of organisation, phone number or suburb. Tick/untick the boxes to select the search categories.

Do not hit enter to avoid searching globally. Hit F5 to undo this global search.

See Google maps link for CLCs and 29A panellists(opens in a new window).

For Generalist CLCs and Local Government Agencies see Google maps link for General CLCs(opens in a new window).