This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Services and info for clients about motor vehicle accidents

Links to the key services relating to motor vehicle accidents.

VLA produces publications and information on the website for clients about this topic.

See VLA resources for clients.

Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)

From 1 November, 2018, the authority handles complaints that were formerly handled by the Financial Ombudsman Service, Credit and Investments Ombudsman and the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal. They work with consumers and small businesses to reach agreements with financial firms (including insurance companies) about how to resolve their complaints. They can make decisions that are binding on the financial firm. They can also award compensation for loss suffered because of an error or inappropriate conduct by the firm.
They deal with complaints about credit, finance and loans as well as superannuation, investments and insurance.


This free legal service may be able to assist people who are having financial disputs.

See Financial Rights Legal Centre—Fact sheets(opens in a new window)

Insurance Law Service

This free legal service gives legal advice and assistance to people about insurance issues. The site has sample letters and fact sheets to help people with insurance complaints. The service also deals with:

  • Home Building and or Contents Insurance (including Natural Disasters)
  • Consumer Credit Insurance
  • Life Insurance
  • Funeral Insurance
  • Pet Insurance
  • Income Protection Insurance
  • Superannuation Related Insurance
  • Travel Insurance
  • Motor Vehicle Insurance (other than CTP)
  • Debts to insurance companies in relation to motor vehicle accidents.

See Insurance Law Service(opens in a new window).


This commercial site provides valuations for motor vehicles. It can be used by a party who has been involved in an accident to gauge the value of their vehicle, and to contest a valuation given by an insurance company.

See Redbook—Online car valuations(opens in a new window).


This commercial insurance company offers free motoring and legal advice to its members.

This link will be masked by a page of advertisements. Click 'close' to remove this and view the details.

See RACV motoring advice line(opens in a new window).

Dispute Settlement Centre

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria offers mediation, advice and tips for dealing so people can resolve their own disputes.

This includes disputes about problems with people's behaviour, vehicle property damage, fences, animal behaviour, Wills and estates. The service is free.

See Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria(opens in a new window).

Law Institute Victoria

The Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) Legal Referral Service provides client referrals to lawyers across Victoria. The referral service operates a telephone service during business hours and an online service through the LIV website.

Referrals are tailored to meet client needs and provide a listing of up to three law firms practising in a particular area of law. All law firms participating in the referral service undertake to see clients for the first 30 minutes free of charge. This interview can be used to determine the nature of the legal issue and discuss the available options. Normal fees are charged after the first 30 minutes or if work needs to be prepared on the client’s behalf.

Phone (03) 9607 9550.

See Law Institute Victoria—Legal Referral Service(opens in a new window).

This is VLA's online referral booking and information tool.

See Legal Help Online (Orbit(opens in a new window)).

Court, CLC, FRC and VLA panels locator

Use Toby's maps to locate community legal centres, courts and private lawyers on the Victoria Legal Aid panel. Search for a list of services near where the caller lives. Search by postcode, name of organisation, phone number or suburb. Tick/untick the boxes to select the search categories.

Do not hit enter to avoid searching globally. Hit F5 to undo this global search.

See Google maps link for CLCs and 29A panellists(opens in a new window).

For Generalist CLCs and Local Government Agencies see Google maps link for General CLCs(opens in a new window).