This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Services and info for clients about ID parades and photos

Key services, information and resources for clients in relation to this ID parades and photos.

Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) produces publications and information on the website for clients about this topic.

See VLA resources for clients.

Police Conduct Unit (Complaints and Compliments)

Complaints about Victoria Police can be made to the Police Conduct Unit (Complaints and Compliments) of the Professional Standards Command. This is a separate part of Victoria Police.

See Victoria Police—Compliments and complaints.

Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission

The Independent broad-based anti-corruption commission (IBAC) is an independent body that aims to raise standards and public perceptions of the Victorian public sector by investigating complaints about serious corrupt conduct across the public sector. This includes statutory bodies such as Victoria Legal Aid.

IBAC also takes over responsibility from the former Office of Police Integrity (OPI) to investigate misconduct by sworn police and police personnel. This aspect of their role is to ensure that Victoria Police maintains the highest ethical and professional standards.

The commission will forward complaints on to the appropriate body if they are not they are not able to handle a particular complaint.

See Independent broad-based anti-corruption commission (IBAC)(opens in a new window).

Other complaint agencies

The IBAC site also has a page of information for people who have other areas to complain about, such as traffic fines, legal services or health services.

See IBAC—Other complaint agencies(opens in a new window).

Law Institute Victoria

The Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) Legal Referral Service provides client referrals to lawyers across Victoria. The referral service operates a telephone service during business hours and an online service through the LIV website.

Referrals are tailored to meet client needs and provide a listing of up to three law firms practising in a particular area of law. All law firms participating in the referral service undertake to see clients for the first 30 minutes free of charge. This interview can be used to determine the nature of the legal issue and discuss the available options. Normal fees are charged after the first 30 minutes or if work needs to be prepared on the client’s behalf.

Phone (03) 9607 9550.

See Law Institute Victoria—Legal Referral Service(opens in a new window).

This is VLA's online referral booking and information tool.

See Legal Help Online (Orbit(opens in a new window)).

Court, CLC, FRC and VLA panels locator

Use Toby's maps to locate community legal centres, courts and private lawyers on the Victoria Legal Aid panel. Search for a list of services near where the caller lives. Search by postcode, name of organisation, phone number or suburb. Tick/untick the boxes to select the search categories.

Do not hit enter to avoid searching globally. Hit F5 to undo this global search.

See Google maps link for CLCs and 29A panellists(opens in a new window).

For Generalist CLCs and Local Government Agencies see Google maps link for General CLCs(opens in a new window).