This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Services and info for clients about elder abuse

Services and info for clients about elder abuse.

VLA produces publications and information on the website for clients about this topic.

See VLA resources for clients.

Seniors Rights Victoria

This organisation provides information and referral, legal advice, legal casework and individual advocacy services on elder abuse. There is plain language information for seniors and for their family and friends under 'information'


Or go directly to the Seniors Rights website Seniors Rights Victoria(opens in a new window).

Justice Connect

This site has information and resources designed for people who are over 60, receiving at least a part pension and in need of legal assistance about an issue that is related to ageing. Staff will make an initial assessment by phone before making an appointment. Common areas where they can assist is with:

  • elder abuse
  • guardianship and administration
  • housing issues
  • grandparenting issues
  • making arrangements to live with family members
  • credit and debt.

See Justice Connect—Seniors law(opens in a new window).

Dispute settlement centre of Victoria

To access free help to sort out a civil (but not family) dispute.

See Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria(opens in a new window).

Relationships Australia

This organisation provides free and low cost services such as counselling and mediation for family disputes.

See Relationships Australia (Victoria)(opens in a new window).

Financial First Aid

A site developed by Medication and Counselling Victoria. This site provides information for people who are experiencing financial difficulty. It has information about: repossession of vehicles, unemployment and financial difficulties, credit card debt, mobile phone bill shock and debt collectors.

See Financial First Aid—Seniors enquiry line(opens in a new window).

Council of the Ageing

The Council of the Ageing (COTA) is the peak body representing the interests and rights of people aged over 50. It has developed a publication in partnership with older LGBTI communities to assist with end-of-life planning.

The site also has a resource to help people to navigate the aged care system.

See Council of the Ageing—Safeguarding the end of the rainbow(opens in a new window)

Or go the Council of the Ageing (COTA) website(opens in a new window).

Good Shepherd loan scheme

This agency provides no interest loans for people on low incomes if they need money to by necessary whitegoods, furniture, health or dental expenses, education essentials (like textbooks) computers or electrical goods. It cannot be used for paying bills, holidays, rent or cash.

To be eligible, a person needs a pension card or health care card, to have lived for more than 3 months in their current home and to show some capacity to repay the loan.

See Good Shepherd—No interest loan scheme (NILS)(opens in a new window).

Australian Psychology Society

A psychologist can help to test for capacity.

Australian Psychological society—find a psychologist(opens in a new window).

My Aged Care

This Commonwealth Government website is designed to assist people to navigate the aged care system. The site has information about getting help at home and in an aged care facility.

See My Aged Care(opens in a new window).

Elder Rights Advocacy

This independent organisation, funded by the Commonwealth Government, provides free information, advice and advocacy to people who are receiving aged care services or who are planning to receive these services.

See Elder Rights Advocacy(opens in a new window)

Aged Care Quality and Safety Commissioner

Anyone can make a complaint to the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commissioner in relation to the provision of aged care.

See Aged Care Quality and Safety Commissioner(opens in a new window)

See also:

Women's Information and Referral Exchange (WIRE)

This free phone service provides information, referral and support to all Victorian women. They claim to welcome calls about anything. Their lines are open between 9 am and 5 pm weekdays. The service also provides support via live chat or by email.

See Women's Information and Referral Exchange (WIRE)(opens in a new window).

Law Institute Victoria

The Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) Legal Referral Service provides client referrals to lawyers across Victoria. The referral service operates a telephone service during business hours and an online service through the LIV website.

Referrals are tailored to meet client needs and provide a listing of up to three law firms practising in a particular area of law. All law firms participating in the referral service undertake to see clients for the first 30 minutes free of charge. This interview can be used to determine the nature of the legal issue and discuss the available options. Normal fees are charged after the first 30 minutes or if work needs to be prepared on the client’s behalf.

Phone (03) 9607 9550.

See Law Institute Victoria—Legal Referral Service(opens in a new window).

This is VLA's online referral booking and information tool.

See Legal Help Online (Orbit(opens in a new window)).

Court, CLC, FRC and VLA panels locator

Use Toby's maps to locate community legal centres, courts and private lawyers on the Victoria Legal Aid panel. Search for a list of services near where the caller lives. Search by postcode, name of organisation, phone number or suburb. Tick/untick the boxes to select the search categories.

Do not hit enter to avoid searching globally. Hit F5 to undo this global search.

See Google maps link for CLCs and 29A panellists(opens in a new window).

For Generalist CLCs and Local Government Agencies see Google maps link for General CLCs(opens in a new window).