This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Services and info for clients about domestic animals

Key services, information and resources for clients in relation to domestic animals.

VLA produces publications and information on the website for clients about this topic.

See VLA resources for clients.

Animal law clinic

Fitzroy legal service's free clinic is available to people who have legal problems related to their animals. The service is by appointment only. It is not restricted to residents within the Fitzroy catchment area, but the person will have to be willing to get to the appointment.

The service will do a conflict check and will assist people based on a case by case basis, where they believe that it is in the best interests of the animal.

The kinds of matters that they can assist with includes challenging a council declarations about restricted breed dogs.

See Fitzroy Legal Service—Animal law clinic.

Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR)

This department has an animal welfare section which links to information about permanent marking of dogs and cats. The site has factsheets about the changes to the law about dangerous and restricted breed dogs.


Or go directly to the home page Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions.

Victoria Law Foundation

Dogs, cats, neighbours & you

Victoria Law Foundation produce a (2018) publication that explains the legal responsibilities of dog and cat owners in Victoria.

Note: Victoria Legal Aid is now responsible for maintaining this publication.

See Victoria Law Foundation—Dogs, cats, neighbours & you.

Insurance Law Service

This free legal service gives legal advice and assistance to people about insurance issues. They can assist with pet insurance issues. The service also deals with:

  • Home Building and or Contents Insurance (including Natural Disasters)
  • Consumer Credit Insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Funeral insurance
  • Income protection insurance
  • Superannuation related insurance
  • Travel insurance
  • Motor vehicle insurance (other than CTP)
  • Debts to insurance companies in relation to motor vehicle accidents.

See Insurance law service.

Dispute Settlement Centre

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria offers mediation, advice and tips for dealing so people can resolve their own disputes.

This includes disputes about problems with people's behaviour, vehicle property damage, fences, animal behaviour, Wills and estates. The service is free.

See Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria(opens in a new window).

Law Institute Victoria

The Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) Legal Referral Service provides client referrals to lawyers across Victoria. The referral service operates a telephone service during business hours and an online service through the LIV website.

Referrals are tailored to meet client needs and provide a listing of up to three law firms practising in a particular area of law. All law firms participating in the referral service undertake to see clients for the first 30 minutes free of charge. This interview can be used to determine the nature of the legal issue and discuss the available options. Normal fees are charged after the first 30 minutes or if work needs to be prepared on the client’s behalf.

Phone (03) 9607 9550.

See Law Institute Victoria—Legal Referral Service(opens in a new window).

This is VLA's online referral booking and information tool.

See Legal Help Online (Orbit(opens in a new window)).

Court, CLC, FRC and VLA panels locator

Use Toby's maps to locate community legal centres, courts and private lawyers on the Victoria Legal Aid panel. Search for a list of services near where the caller lives. Search by postcode, name of organisation, phone number or suburb. Tick/untick the boxes to select the search categories.

Do not hit enter to avoid searching globally. Hit F5 to undo this global search.

See Google maps link for CLCs and 29A panellists(opens in a new window).

For Generalist CLCs and Local Government Agencies see Google maps link for General CLCs(opens in a new window).