This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Services and info for clients about cross-border issues

Client services about cross-border issues.

Fines for Victorians in NSW

This fact sheet explains the laws in NSW about the public health orders in that state. It is useful for Victorians who are fined for crossing the border into NSW as it explains what a person's options are if they are fined and how the fines must be dealt with under the law of NSW.

See Legal Aid NSW—COVID-19: Public health orders – what do I need to know?(opens in a new window)

NSW Government

Getting a permit to enter NSW during the border closure

The NSW Government site explains how to apply for a permit to enter into NSW during the closure of the border between Victoria and New South Wales.

See Service NSW—Apply for a COVID-19 NSW border entry permit(opens in a new window).