This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Services and info for clients about child protection

Services and info for clients about child protection.

VLA produces publications and information on the website for clients about child protection.

See VLA resources for clients.

Department of Families, Fairness and Housing

This department, formerly known as Department of Health and Human Services (or DHHS) supports the most vulnerable people in Victoria. They plan and deliver community and housing services, including child protection.


Or to go directly to their homepage see Victorian Government—Department of Families, Fairness and Housing(opens in a new window).

Children's Court of Victoria

The Children's Court of Victoria operates under the Children, Youth and Families Act 2005(opens in a new window).

This specialist court has two divisions to deal with matters relating to children and young people.

The Family Division hears:

  • applications relating to the protection and care of children and young persons at risk
  • applications for intervention orders.

The Criminal Division hears matters relating to criminal offending by children and young persons.

The Children's Koori Court (Criminal Division) hears matters relating to criminal offending by Koori children and young persons, but not sexual offences.

See Children's Court of Victoria(opens in a new window).

Take a virtual court tour

The Children's Court website has a site that shows people what to expect when they attend a court hearing for intervention orders or for criminal matters. It includes a tour of the court with an explanation of the different parts of a court room.

See Children's Court—Virtual court site(opens in a new window).

Commission for children and young people

The commission is an independent statutory body that promotes improvement in policies and practices involving the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in Victoria. They have a particular focus on vulnerable children. They provide independent scrutiny and oversight of services for children and young people, especially those in out-of home care and in youth justice systems. They also advocate for best practice policy, support and regulate organisations that work with children to prevent abuse and to make sure that child safe practices are used, bring the views and experiences of children to the attention of government and the community, and promote children's rights.

The commission also monitors the reportable conduct scheme.

The commission operates an enquiries line during office hours.

See Commission for children and young people(opens in a new window).

Law Institute Victoria

The Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) Legal Referral Service provides client referrals to lawyers across Victoria. The referral service operates a telephone service during business hours and an online service through the LIV website.

Referrals are tailored to meet client needs and provide a listing of up to three law firms practising in a particular area of law. All law firms participating in the referral service undertake to see clients for the first 30 minutes free of charge. Normal fees are charged after the first 30 minutes or if work needs to be prepared on the client’s behalf.

Phone (03) 9607 9550

See Law Institute Victoria—Legal Referral Service(opens in a new window).

This is VLA's online referral booking and information tool.

See Legal Help Online(opens in a new window).

Court, CLC, FRC and VLA panels locator

Use Toby's maps to locate community legal centres, courts and private lawyers on the Victoria Legal Aid panel. Search for a list of services near where the caller lives. Search by postcode, name of organisation, phone number or suburb. Tick/untick the boxes to select the search categories.

Do not hit enter to avoid searching globally. Hit F5 to undo this global search.

See Google maps link for CLCs and 29A panellists(opens in a new window).

For Generalist CLCs and Local Government Agencies see Google maps link for General CLCs(opens in a new window).

Child wise

This Australian charity organisation provides resources for parents and organisations to help prevent and identify child sexual abuse and exploitation.

See Child wise—Online publications(opens in a new window).