This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Services and info for clients about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

Services and information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients.

VALS provides legal services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People in Victoria. They aim to address the causes and effects of disadvantage in these communities. They also provide culturally appropriate education programs and resources aiming to promote the rights and freedoms of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People.

See Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service(opens in a new window).

Fair Work Ombudsman

The Fair Work Ombudsman has developed information to help Aboriginal employers and employees to understand their workplace rights and responsibilities. These include an online video that gives guidance on how to resolve issues at work including negotiating time off work for Sorry Business, a period of mourning that follows the loss of a family or community member.

See Fair Work Ombudsman—Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People(opens in a new window).

Magistrates' Court of Victoria

The court site has information to support people who identify as First Nation Peoples who are attending court.


Court services Victoria

This organisation has a video that explains what the Koori Court is all about.

See Court Services Victoria—Koori programs(opens in a new window).

Corrections Victoria

This business unit of Department of Justice and Regulation is responsible for setting the direction, management and operation of Victoria's corrections system. Corrections Victoria's website, Corrections, prisons and parole has information about the governance of prisons in Victoria.

See Corrections, Prisons & Parole(opens in a new window).

For a list of Aboriginal Welfare and Aboriginal Liaison officers available to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander prisoners:

See Prison Aboriginal Welfare and Aboriginal Liaison officers (doc, 171 KB)(opens in a new window).

Ombudsman Victoria

The ombudsman site has information to explain how prisoners can make a complaint about the prison system. Prisoners can call the Ombudsman directly. To do this the prisoner has to enter their ID, their PIN and then dial '*#06'.

See Victorian Ombudsman—Prison(opens in a new window)s.

Prison law org

This site, originally created by the Mental Health Legal Service has information to support prisoners and their families. The site has a series of factsheets about going to prison, being searched, classification, visits, prison rules, discipline, medical treatment, drug and alcohol testing, freedom of information, complaints and prisoner rights.

See Prison in a new window)

The Law Handbook

Fitzroy Legal Service's handbook has a chapter to explain the laws that apply to prisoners in Victoria.

See The prison system(opens in a new window).

Flat Out Inc.

Flat Out is a state–wide advocacy and support service for women who have had contact with the criminal justice and/or prison system in Victoria. They provide individualised support for women (with or without children) to address homelessness, drug and alcohol treatment and a range of other support and advocacy aimed at addressing the underlying causes of criminalisation. The content is undated.

See Flat Out(opens in a new window).

Australian Human Rights Commission

The commission has a fact sheet that has information about some of the human rights issues that prisoners face during and after they are in prison such as the loss of voting rights and discrimination on the basis of a criminal record.

See AHRC—Human Rights and Prisoners(opens in a new window).

Victorian Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders (VACRO)

VACRO aims to help people who have been released from prison to ease the transition back into community life. To do this, they assist with reunification with family and work with offenders to establish a stable base that includes accommodation and employment.

See Victorian Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders (VACRO)(opens in a new window).

VACRO family visits program

This program provides targeted, practical assistance to assist family members (that is, anyone on a prisoner's contact list) to help with the costs of visiting a person in prison. They provide financial assistance for families who have to travel a significant distance between their home and prison. Family members do not have to live in Victoria, to be eligible. Victorian family members can get assistance for one visit every 6 weeks. The service can provide bus and train tickets or reimbursement for the cost of petrol. VACRO may also assist with overnight accommodation if the family member is more than 3 hours away from the prison location.

Referrals to this service are made by the prisoner's Aboriginal Liaison Officer.

See VACRO—Aboriginal family visits program(opens in a new window) and Corrections for a list of liaison officers.


VACRO's resources section has publications designed to assist prisoners and their families who have been affected by a person being placed in prison. The publication below has a comprehensive list of services that can support Aboriginal people to contact:

  • Indigenous Community Corrections Officers
  • Konnect (Indigenous Transitional Support Program)
  • Local Aboriginal co-ops and community organisations
  • Education opportunities
  • Housing and accommodation
  • Women
  • Health and family counselling
  • Family Services
  • Koori Heritage Trust
  • Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA)
  • Family History Services.

See 'Indigenous support—in VACRO—How we help(opens in a new window).

Interstate birth registry offices


Access Canberra

See Access Canberra—Apply for a birth, death or marriage certificate(opens in a new window).


Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages

See NSW—Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages(opens in a new window).


Queensland Government

See Queensland Government—Births, deaths, marriages and divorces(opens in a new window).

South Australia

Births, Deaths and Marriages South Australia

See SA—Births, deaths and marriages South Australia(opens in a new window).


Tasmanian Department of Justice

See Tasmanian Department of Justice—Births, deaths and marriages(opens in a new window).

Western Australia

Western Australian Government

See Western Australian Government—Registry of births, deaths and marriages(opens in a new window).