This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Same-sex marriage

Same-sex commitment ceremonies (civil unions) that are solemnised in another country are not recognised as a marriage in Australia.

The Marriage Act 1961 has been amended to allow people to marry regardless of their gender. Changes commenced on 9 December 2017. These changes:

  • recognise same sex-marriages solemnised overseas
  • allow a couple to apply to marry by filling out a 'Notice of intended marriage form'.

See Marriage Amendment (Definition and Religious Freedoms) Bill 2017 (Cth) and Forms.

Relationship register

Same-sex couples in Victoria are able to formally register their relationships with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

More information


Marriage Act 1961 (Cth)

  • s. 5(1)—interpretation
  • s. 88EA—certain unions are not marriages

See Marriage Act 1961 (Cth).

Relationships Act 2008 (Vic)

  • s. 6—application to register a registerable domestic relationship
  • s. 7—requirements of application for registration
  • s. 10—registration

See Relationships Act 2008 (Vic).