This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

References for failing to stop after an accident

Information for staff about failing to stop after an accident.

The Law Handbook

Fitzroy Legal Service’s Law Handbook has information about failure to stop after an accident. See:

Lawyers Practice Manual

Westlaw's Lawyers Practice Manual has information about driving offences, including an overview of legislation, advice on taking instructions, court documents used and the impact of prior offences.


Transport Accident Commission

If a person has been injured in a transport accident, their medical costs relating to the accident will be paid for by the Transport Accident Commission. The commission’s website explains how to make a claim and what is covered.

See Transport Accident Commission.

The board has developed a fact sheet for lawyers who are acting in motor vehicle accident matters.

See Legal Services Board and Commissioner—Acting in motor vehicle accident claims.

Judicial College of Victoria

Serious Injury Manual

See chapter 3 on 'Work-related and transport-related injury' to see when an injury will be classed as transport-related.

See Judicial College of Victoria—Serious Injury Manual.