This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

References for changing names

Information for staff about changing names.

The Law Handbook

Fitzroy Legal Service’s Law Handbook has the following information about changing names.

See Changing your name(opens in a new window).

Family law practice and commentary

The practitioner's checklist explains the steps necessary to make an application to court for changing child's name. It includes:

  • details of what must be included in an affidavit
  • links to relevant case law
  • principles to apply where consent is not given [¶22-500]
  • procedure for a name change for children [¶22-510].

See 'Change of a child's name' in CCH—Australian family law and practice commentary(opens in a new window).

Note: You will need to sign in before using this site. To search quickly for content above, select Family law practice and commentary and copy the paragraph reference into the search. For example copy in [¶22-500].

County Court

The court website has a practice note with detailed information for self-represented litigants about how applications to change the name of a child are held. In particular there is information about:

  • applying to resolve a dispute about a child's name when registering a birth
  • applying to change a child's name
  • applying to change a child's sex
  • applying to register a birth or amend a birth certificate

See 'Adoptions, surrogacy and name changes list' in County Court—Adoption and parentage(opens in a new window).