This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Owners of moveable homes

Pre-fabricated or mobile homes on sites or caravan parks that have been developed after 30 August 2011 are regulated by a Part 4A of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.

Pre-fabricated or mobile homes on sites or caravan parks that have been developed after 30 August 2011 are regulated by a Part 4A of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. Unlike caravans, these dwellings cannot be registered under the Road Safety Act 1986 (Vic). The law gives greater protection to site tenants who own or partly own their mobile or pre-fab home. Owner-renters, or van owners who rent the land their vans are resting on, have more security. Renters must be offered a 5 year minimum rental lease. This only applies to new caravan parks (parks registered after 30 August 2011). The jurisdiction of VCAT is increased to $100,000 when helping to sort out these Part 4A, disputes. Extra disclosure requirements also apply to van park owners.

See Owners of pre-fab or moveable homes.