This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Money for dependent child

Information about money to a prisoner to care for a dependent child in jail.

A prisoner may be paid money from a Commonwealth agency for the purpose of caring for a dependent child who is living with them in the prison. This money is additional to the $140 monthly limit that a prisoner may be sent.

These payments are automatically credited to the prisoner's spend account.

If the money is not automatically paid into the prisoner's account and a cheque is sent, the prisoner should organise to have the money placed in an external bank account. If this is not possible, as a last resort, the general manager may authorise the cheque to be placed in the 'withheld' or compulsory savings account.

See '1.5—Dependent's monies' in DCI 4.09 Prisoner monies—Deputy Commissioner's Instructions.

More information