This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Legislation relating to trees

Information about the legislation relating to trees and neighbour disputes.

Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic)

This Act promotes and protects public health and wellbeing in Victoria. It gives authorised environmental health officers in local councils the power to inspect places such as child care centres, rooming houses and other prescribed accommodation, school, tattoo artist, hairdresser, supermarket or other premises to protect, improve and promote public health in the local community.

See Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic)(opens in a new window).

Magistrates' Court Act 1989 (Vic)

This Act establishes the Magistrates' Court of Victoria and outlines the law relating to its jurisdiction and procedures.

See Magistrates' Court Act 1989 (Vic)(opens in a new window).

Magistrates' Court General Civil Procedure Rules 2010

These Rules set out the process for appearing in the Magistrates’ Court in civil proceedings. For example they explain:

  • how documents must be served
  • time limits
  • how cases are to be managed
  • what information needs to be included in forms
  • how court documents are to be set out.

They also list of prescribed forms.

See Magistrates' Court General Civil Procedure Rules 2010 (Vic)(opens in a new window).

Fences Act 1968 (Vic)

This Act outlines the legal obligations for the constructing, repairing and replacing dividing fences.

See Fences Act 1968 (Vic)(opens in a new window).

Fences Regulations 2014 (Vic)

These regulations prescribe forms to be used when there is a fencing dispute. These include a Fencing notice, Urgent fencing notice and forms to use when there is a long term tenant.

See Fences Regulations 2014 (Vic).