This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Legislation relating to taking a child overseas

Legislation related to taking a child overseas.

Family Law Act 1975 (Cth)

This Act relates to marriage, divorce and matrimonial causes. It includes law about parental responsibility for children and financial matters arising out of the breakdown of de facto relationships.

See Family Law Act 1975 (Cth)(opens in a new window).

Family Law (Child Abduction Convention) Regulations 1986 (Cth)

These Regulations set out the procedures to be followed where a parent is applying for the return of a child who has been abducted and taken to a Hague convention country.

See Family Law (Child Abduction Convention) Regulations 1986 (Cth).

Australian Passport Act (Cth)

This Act provides for the issue and administration of Australian passports which are used as evidence of a person's identity and citizenship when they are travelling overseas. It includes the process for review of decisions about whether a child's passport may be issued due to special circumstances.

See Australian Passport Act 2005 (Cth).

Australian Passports Determination 2015 (Cth)

This legislative instrument sets out the special circumstances that will allow the Minister to issue a passport to a child even though a parent (or person who has pare ntal responsibility for that child) has not given consent.

See Australian Passports Determination 2015 (Cth).