This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Legislation relating to cross-border issues

Legislation to support questions about cross-border issues for people living in border towns in or close to Victoria.

Public Health Act 2010 (NSW)

This Act promotes, protects and improves public health. It also aims to control risks to public health by preventing the spread of infectious diseases, promoting control of infectious diseases and monitoring diseases and conditions affecting public health.

Where a state of emergency has been proclaimed for all or part of the state, this Act gives the Health Minister broad powers to take action. The Act sets out the powers to act and creates penalties for breach of the orders.

See Public Health Act 2010 (NSW)(opens in a new window).

Crimes Act 1900 (NSW)

This Act sets out the major criminal offences under the law of New South Wales.

Part 1A, deals with geographical jurisdiction which can, in some cases extend bring offences committed outside of NSW under NSW law if there is a geographical nexus between the offence and NSW.

See Crimes Act 1900 (NSW)(opens in a new window).

Children and Young Persons Care and Protection Act 1998 (NSW)

This Act governs the care and welfare of children and young people in NSW. Section 4 of the Act extends the jurisdiction to children who are present in NSW, although they do not ordinarily live in NSW, and others where some or event that happened in NSW gave rise to a report.

See Children and Young Persons Care and Protection Act 1998 (NSW)(opens in a new window).

Children (Criminal Proceedings) Act 1987 (NSW)

This Act sets out how children and young people must be dealt with if they are charged with criminal offending in NSW.

See Children (Criminal Proceedings) Act 1987 (NSW)(opens in a new window).