This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Interstate issues relating to alcohol interlocks

Information about interstate issues dealing with alcohol interlocks.

Avoiding interlock device by moving interstate

Drivers who have had their licenses cancelled for a drink-driving offence, may be able to avoid having an interlock device fitted by moving to a state where an interlock is not required, but they will have the condition imposed if they return to live in Victoria.

If the driver moves, they will need to comply with the law in that state. The state licensing authority will be able to find out that the driver was subject to a licence with an interlock condition when they apply for an interstate licence. The driver will need to contact the Roads Commission in that particular state to find out what they will need to do.

For links to interstate road commissions see Interstate rules and authorities.

Moving back into Victoria

If a driver moves back into Victoria after living in a jurisdiction where no interlock was needed, they will not be allowed to drive in Victoria until they apply to court or to VicRoads. VicRoads may impose an interlock as a condition of getting a Victorian licence or permit.

See Drink driving offences outside Victoria.

Interlocks and interstate travel

Drivers who plan extended travel interstate while they are subject to an interlock licence condition must make arrangements with their interlock provider. If provider does not have interstate connections where device can be serviced and data downloaded, the driver must return to Victoria for their interlock to be serviced. This servicing and maintenance needs to be done each month.

Prior or subsequent offences

Prior convictions for driving offences that involve alcohol include offences committed interstate if they are corresponding laws to Victorian drink driving provisions. Laws will be considered to be corresponding laws if they are sufficiently similar drink-driving laws in Victoria. These will be listed in the Victorian Government Gazette. There is not much difference between drink driving laws around Australia so most offences will be included.

See Interstate and overseas—Drink driving offences outside Victoria.

Drink driving offences committed outside Victoria

Drivers who have committed drink driving offences in another jurisdiction may be required to have an alcohol interlock device fitted to their vehicle as a condition of being allowed to drive in Victoria.

VicRoads may exempt a person from having to complete a behaviour change program is that person has an interlock device imposed by another state or territory for a drink driving offence in that jurisdiction.

See Interstate and overseas—Drink driving offences outside Victoria.

More information


Road Safety Act 1986 (Vic)

  • s. 31KB—administrative process for imposing an interlock device for interstate drink driving offences
  • s. 47A—defines corresponding law (for drug and alcohol offences)
  • s. 48(2)—describes convictions that will be subsequent offences—interstate offences included

See Road Safety Act 1986 (Vic)(opens in a new window).

Also see Road Safety Act 1986 (Vic)—Schedule 1—Minimum disqualification periods(opens in a new window).


Corresponding laws are listed in Government Gazette.

See Victoria Government Gazette No G17 2 May 1996(opens in a new window) on page 1058.