This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Information release policy (police checks)

This topic is about what happens when a person asks for access to a person's police record.

Release of a person's police record under Victorian law is governed by police policy. With few exceptions, police won't disclose a person's record without that person's consent.
Most of this topic deals with Victorian law.

Release of Commonwealth offences is governed by Crimes Act 1914. If Commonwealth law applies it is specifically mentioned.


How VLA can help

Useful resources