This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

If property is damaged during a search

Information about what happens if property is damaged during a property search.

If police cause damage to property during entry or search of a person's property, police must:

  • report the damage to their forward commander before leaving the property and
  • damage must be photographed and
  • divisional manager must inspect the damage and
  • discuss the damage with the owner or occupier and
  • submit a report to divisional manager of police.

Reimbursement for damage

The property owner can claim restitution for damage caused during a property search. No payments will be made without authorisation from the divisional manager and by Risk management Insurance.

It may also be possible to a person to take civil court action against Commissioner Victorian Police.

The police manual advises police not to admit liability for damage.

More information


Victoria Police Manual