This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Getting other people to arrange payments

Information about how a prisoner can authorise another person to make child support payments for them.

A prisoner can complete a 'Representative Authority form' and a Financial Power of Attorney to allow another person to arrange to make payments for them while they are in prison. This will reduce the amount of money that they will have to pay back later.

The Representative Authority form is available via the Forms page of this topic.

See Forms.

How payments can be made

Child support payments can be made by BPay, Direct Credit, BillPay, Mail, Employer Deductions or Benefits Deduction.

If prisoner has nobody to help

Prisoners who do not have anyone in the community that could help pay their child support for them they can ask the Victorian Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders (VACRO) to assist. VACRO offers a banking service for prisoners.

The prisoner would need to provide VACRO with the correct BPay details and account details and would need to have enough funds in their prison trust account to make the payments.

The lawyer may have to make the phone call on the prisoner’s behalf.

For contact details see 'Victorian Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders' (link below)

Prisoner also has to maintain themselves in prison

Prisoners usually have to use their prison income to buy toiletries and other essentials within the prison. Therefore their ability to make any contributions towards their ongoing child support liability or child support debts may be minimal. The prisoner may accumulate a child support debt even when they are on a minimum assessment.

See Liability for child support and Prisoner money.

More information


Victorian Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders (VACRO)

This organisation provides support to prisoners and their families from the time a person is arrested through the court process and while they are in prison through to their release.

See Victorian Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders (VACRO)(opens in a new window).