This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Forms for natural disasters

Forms for natural disasters.

Australian Financial Complaints Authority

The authority may be able to help someone to sort out a dispute with their insurance provider. The list of members are available from the authority's website under 'Find a financial firm or superannuation fund'.

A person may lodge a dispute claim online. They can also write to AFCA or contact the authority by phone to complain.


Once a dispute is lodged, all enforcement proceedings, including any court action are put on hold while AFCA considers the dispute.

See Financial Rights Legal Centre—Fact sheets—Dispute resolution: Financial(opens in a new window)

Services Australia

Services Australia (formerly the Department of Human Services) is responsible for administering applications for early release of superannuation funds. Their site has information about how to apply.

See Services Australia—Early release of superannuation(opens in a new window).(opens in a new window)

Replacing Family Law Court documents destroyed by floods

People who have lost court documents through a natural disaster can apply to court for replacement documents at not cost.

See Family Court—Natural disaster replacement document request.