This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Forms for freedom of information

Forms for freedom of information.

Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)

This Commonwealth government office explains the process for making a complaint about a breach of privacy and the steps involved in trying to make a Freedom of Information (FOI) request.


A form is available for people who would like the Commissioner to review a decision by a Commonwealth Government Agency.

See: OAIC—Reviews and complaints(opens in a new window).

Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner

This Victorian government site has information and a short video about how to apply for information under FOI. This includes a form to use and information about costs. There's also a link to all of the relevant agencies that includes their contact details to make it easier to complain to them.

See Office of the Victoria Information Commissioner—Making a Freedom of information request(opens in a new window).

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

This tribunal site has a link to an online application form and also some information about the kinds of matters that VCAT can review.

See VCAT—Freedom of Information Act 1982(opens in a new window).