This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Forms for complaints about police

Where to find relevant complaint forms.

Victoria Police

Complaints about Victoria Police can be made to the Police Conduct Unit (Complaints and Compliments) of the Ethical Standards Department by completing the online complaints form.

See Victoria Police—Compliments and complaints.

Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC)

A person can complain to IBAC about police conduct. They will log the complaint but may send it to the Police Conduct Unit for investigation. Complaints must be in writing unless there are exceptional circumstances and complaints may be lodged online.

See IBAC—How to report corruption or police misconduct.

Australian Federal Police

Complaints about the Australian Federal Police (AFP) can be made by submitting an online complaint form directly to the AFP.

See Australian Federal Police—Feedback and complaints.

Complaints about the Australian Federal Police can be made to the Commonwealth Ombudsman by using their online complaints form.

See Commonwealth Ombudsman—Making a complaint.