This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Forms about separation

Information about the forms related to separation.

There are no forms or legal processes needed when they separate.

Federal Circuit and Family Court

Couples who need to prove that they have been separated while living under one roof may need to get a neighbour to give evidence in an affidavit when they are applying for divorce.