This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Forms about firearms and weapons

Where to find relevant weapons forms.


The Licensing and Regulations Division of Victoria Police is responsible for registration of registrable weapons, firearms, firearms dealers and private security organisations.

See Victoria Police—Applying for a new licence(opens in a new window).

Applying to be deemed a non-prohibited person

If a person is deemed to be a prohibited person because an intervention order has been made against them r because of a criminal determination, they can make an application to the Magistrates' Court to be permitted to hold a firearms licence.

See Magistrates' Court—Firearms Act – Application to be deemed a non-prohibited person(opens in a new window).

Appealing a decision if refused a firearms licence

If someone has been refused a firearms licence, they may appeal to the Firearms Appeals Committee. The appeal must be sent within 28 days of police refusing an application.

See 'Firearms Appeals Committee application form' at the foot of Department of Justice and Community Safety—Firearms appeal committee(opens in a new window).