This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Evidence for child name change

Information about the evidence needed so parents and guardians can legally change a child’s name.

The parent or guardian must provide the registrar with proof of identity of the child, for example, their original birth certificate, passport or citizenship certificate.

If the child is over 12 years old and unable to supply current photo ID, they must provide one passport sized photograph and have the photograph certified by an authorised guarantor.

Each parent/guardian must also provide one type of identification from each of the following categories:

  • evidence of right to be in Australia, for example, their original birth certificate, passport or citizenship certificate
  • a link between their identity and person (photo and signature), for example, their passport or drivers licence
  • evidence of operating in the community, for example, bank account details, tax file statement or student ID
  • evidence of residential address, for example, bank account statements, rental agreements or bills.

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, if the child is 12 years or more, they must also consent to the change of name.

If one or both parents are dead, the surviving parent or guardian must also produce death certificate as proof.

See ss. 26, 27—Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1996 (Vic) and 'Proof of identity' in Births Deaths Marriages Victoria.

Must both parents agree?

One parent can apply to register the change of name for a child if:

  • the applicant is the only parent named in the child's birth certificate
  • the other parent is dead
  • the court approves.

The court may approve a proposed change of name if it is satisfied that the change is in the best interests of the child.

If the child's parents can't be found, are dead or cannot exercise their parental responsibilities the child's guardian my apply to register a change of name for the child.

See Disputing a child's name change.

More information


Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act (Vic)

  • s. 26—application to register change of child's name
  • s. 27—child's consent to change of name

See Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1996 (Vic).


Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria

See 'Proof of identity' in Births Deaths Marriages Victoria.