This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

Changing an intervention order

Information about how to vary, amend or change a family violence intervention order.


A person affected by a final intervention order may appeal either the order or a condition on it to the County Court. The appeal must be lodged within one month of the decision to grant the intervention order.

There is no right to appeal an interim family violence intervention order.


If a respondent was not served personally with the application and/or the application was not bought to the respondent’s attention under an order for substituted service, an application for rehearing can be made.

See Appeals and rehearings.

Having the order varied

If circumstances have changed and the order is no longer required, then one of the parties must make an application to the court to have the order either varied or changed. Only the court can change or cancel an intervention order.

Avoiding a breach

While parties may reconcile, if they are to separate again and an intervention order has not been lifted, then a party may well find themselves facing a charge arising from a breach of the intervention order.

See Breaching an order.

More information

Family Violence Protection Act 2008 (Vic)

See Family Violence Protection Act 2008 (Vic)(opens in a new window).

Related pages