This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

CALD resources for migration issues for prisoners

CALD resources for migration issues for prisoners.

Federal Circuit and Family Court

The court website has information about arranging for an interpreter and translating documents.


Visas and family violence

This interstate site has information about visas that may be useful for people living in Victoria. This includes information about family violence for people who are worried about their visas.

Fact sheets are available in the following community languages:

Arabic | Assyrian | Bengali | Chinese | Dari | Hindi | Indonesian | Khmer | Korean | Persian |Spanish | Tagalog |Thai | Vietnamese |

See Legal Aid NSW—Advice about your visa if you've been hurt or harmed by your partner(opens in a new window).

VLA translated publications

For information about VLA services in 24 different community languages see Get help in your own language(opens in a new window).

Support for newly arrived communities

For videos, booklets and other educational resources to help people to understand the law in Victoria.

See What's the law? Australian law for new arrivals (videos and education kit)(opens in a new window)

Victoria Legal Aid has a policy and guide to help staff who are working with CALD communities. Information includes:

  • how to identify when an interpreter is needed
  • how to work effectively with interpreters and translators.

This resource is currently available to VLA staff only.

See Interpreters and Translators Policy(opens in a new window).