This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

CALD resources for family violence intervention orders

Where to find relevant resources in languages other than English.

Multicultural Centre for Women's Health

This not-for-profit organisation aims to put migrant women's health into migrant women's hands. They aim to do this by empowering migrant women living in Australia from migrant and refugee backgrounds by providing information and support to promote their health and wellbeing.

They have produced information designed to support people who work with these groups about family violence.

See Multicultural Centre for Women's Health—Family violence support information(opens in a new window).

Intouch Multicultural Centre against Family Violence

Intouch is a state-wide specialist family violence service that works with women from migrant and refugee backgrounds (and their families and communities) in Victoria. It was formerly called the Immigrant Women's Domestic Violence Service.

This centre has produced a tip sheet for family violence professionals who are working with interpreters by phone. The site also has a plain language fact sheet about using interpreters that has been translated into several different community languages:

Arabic | Dari | Dinka | English | Farsi | Hindi | Khmer | Mandarin | Sinhalese | Somali | Thai | Vietnamese |

See Intouch Multicultural Centre against Family Violence—Tip sheets: Working with interpreters(opens in a new window)

Or visit their homepage Intouch Multicultural Centre against Family Violence(opens in a new window).

This video, made in 2010 with help from VLA staff, has information about the procedure from applying for an intervention order in the following languages:

  • Arabic
  • Chin
  • Chinese
  • Dinka
  • English
  • Punjabi

Note: The video was made before the changes which restrict the level of legal assistance that VLA can give. However the law is up to date at March 2014.

The site also provides a translation service of their pages into 34 community languages. Go to the 'Translate tab' and select a language.

See Eastern community legal centre—Steps to safety(opens in a new window).

Visas and family violence

This interstate site has information about visas that may be useful for people living in Victoria. This includes information about family violence for people who are worried about their visas.

Fact sheets are available in the following community languages: Arabic | Assyrian | Bengali | Chinese | Dari | Hindi | Indonesian | Khmer | Korean | Persian | Spanish | Tagalog | Thai | Vietnamese |

See Legal Aid NSW—Advice about your visa if you've been hurt or harmed by your partner(opens in a new window).

VLA services and translated publications

All of VLA's translated resources are available on our website.

See Translations(opens in a new window).

For information about VLA services in 24 different community languages see Get help in your own language(opens in a new window).

Support for newly arrived communities

For videos and an education kit to help people to understand the law in Victoria. Topics include:

  • the Australian legal system
  • buying a car
  • car accidents
  • centrelink
  • child protection and parenting
  • consumer issues
  • discrimination
  • driving
  • employment
  • family law
  • family violence
  • fines
  • police
  • renting.

See What's the law? Australian law for new arrivals (videos)(opens in a new window).

Magistrates' Court of Victoria

The Court's website has information about interpreter and translation services that can help people from CALD communities to understand the court process.

See Magistrates' Court—interpreters(opens in a new window).

VLA interpreters and translators policy

Victoria Legal Aid has a policy and guide to help staff who are working with CALD communities. Information includes:

  • how to identify when an interpreter is needed
  • how to work effectively with interpreters and translators.

See Interpreters and translators policy(opens in a new window).