This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

CALD resources for Door-to-door sales

Resources about door to door sales in community languages.

Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)

ASIC's 'Money smart' site for consumers has a kit designed for community settlement workers to help new arrivals with credit, debt and bills related issues.

The resource includes fact sheets, audio stories and video stories as well as a kit for community workers. Information is available in English.

See their 'Money management kit' in ASIC—Money smart—Publications(opens in a new window)

See also:

ASIC Money smart

The money smart website, developed by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, has information and other resources for indigenous communities. There is information about budgeting, borrowing money, choosing or accessing superannuation, 'book up', rights when door-to-door sales people visit, mobile phone contracts and information about Wills and funerals.

See ASIC—Money smart—Indigenous(opens in a new window)

Also, scroll to 'Indigenous' section in ASIC—Money smart—Publications(opens in a new window).

VLA translated publications

For information about VLA services in 24 different community languages see Get help in your own language(opens in a new window).

Support for newly arrived communities

For videos, booklets and other educational resources to help people to understand the law in Victoria.

See What's the law? Australian law for new arrivals (videos and education kit)(opens in a new window)

Victoria Legal Aid has a policy and guide to help staff who are working with CALD communities. Information includes:

  • how to identify when an interpreter is needed
  • how to work effectively with interpreters and translators.

This resource is currently available to VLA staff only.

See Interpreters and Translators Policy(opens in a new window).