This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

CALD resources for divorce

Where to find relevant resources in languages other than English.

Translating a marriage certificate

To apply for divorce in Australia, the applicant needs to provide their marriage certificate. If this certificate is in a language other than English, they will need to have the document translated into English.

The person who translates the marriage certificate will need to fill out an affidavit verifying the translation and setting out the person's qualifications to make the translation.

See Family Court—Affidavit translation of marriage certificate.

Family Court

The Family Courts site has information about:

  • how to get divorced if you were married overseas
  • family violence and safety at the court
  • children, passports and international travel
  • preventing a child from leaving Australia
  • international child abduction
  • forced and underage marriage
  • mental health in multicultural Australia.

There is also information about the court's:

  • translating service
  • multicultural plan
  • services for hearing and visually impaired clients.

See Family Court—Migrants, refugees and language support.

Information for Aboriginal people

The site also has information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people including information about:

  • Aboriginal advisers and interpreters
  • children and their Aboriginal culture
  • court process.

See Family Court—Indigenous Australians.

VLA translated publications

For information about VLA services in 24 different community languages see Get help in your own language(opens in a new window).

Support for newly arrived communities

For videos, booklets and other educational resources to help people to understand the law in Victoria.

See What's the law? Australian law for new arrivals (videos and education kit)(opens in a new window)

Victoria Legal Aid has a policy and guide to help staff who are working with CALD communities. Information includes:

  • how to identify when an interpreter is needed
  • how to work effectively with interpreters and translators.

This resource is currently available to VLA staff only.

See Interpreters and Translators Policy(opens in a new window).