This website is for use by legal professionals (lawyers and law practices) only. If the information is used incorrectly, you could risk losing money or your legal rights. If you are a member of the public looking for free advice about your legal problems please visit, or contact our Legal Help advice line on 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. 

If you decide to use or rely on the information or make decisions based on the information in this website (which VLA does not recommend) VLA is not liable to you or any third party in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses you or they may suffer or incur as a result.

CALD resources for child protection

CALD resources for child protection.

Department of Health and Human Services

The department's website has information about child protection orders in the following community languages:

Arabic | Cambodian | Chinese | Croatian | Greek | Italian | Macedonian | Maltese | Polish | Portuguese | Russian | Serbian | Spanish | Tagalog | Turkish | Vietnamese |

There are also links at the foot of each page to find information in 28 different languages.

See Department of Health and Human Services—For Service Providers—Child Protection Orders(opens in a new window)

Child wise

This Australian charity organisation provides resources for parents and organisations to help prevent and identify child sexual abuse and exploitation. They have a publication designed for parents and carers of Indigenous children:

  • 'Yarning up about child sexual abuse'

See Child wise—Online publications(opens in a new window)

VLA translated publications

For information about VLA services in 24 different community languages see Get help in your own language(opens in a new window).

Support for newly arrived communities

For videos, booklets and other educational resources to help people to understand the law in Victoria.

See What's the law? Australian law for new arrivals (videos and education kit)(opens in a new window)

Victoria Legal Aid has a policy and guide to help staff who are working with CALD communities. Information includes:

  • how to identify when an interpreter is needed
  • how to work effectively with interpreters and translators.

This resource is currently available to VLA staff only.

See Interpreters and Translators Policy(opens in a new window).